5 tips and shortcuts from a Medium Top Writer.
On Quora I got asked:
Since a lot of you asked me the exact question, I wanted to share my answer in my publication Online Writing 101 with you so everyone can profit from it.
I know reaching the threshold of 100 followers can feel daunting.
I feel you.
Some of my students needed several months to reach the 100 followers threshold until they learned from me how to get there with ease.
I reached the goal of 100 followers within two months.
Here’s the proof:
Here are my tips for you to reach the (new) 100 followers threshold within 1–2 months, apply for the Medium Partner Program and earn money with your writing:
- 🚀Write and publish your first 5–10 articles. You’re on Medium to write. So write, write, write at least 5–10 articles. When people come to your page they’ll see that you publish regularly and they can trust you. You’re not a bot with zero stories.
- 🚀Join Facebook Groups for Medium Writers and connect with others. Share your stories there and build relationships with other inspiring writers.
- 🚀Let’s get relational: Medium is a relational platform. It’s all about relating to others. Clapping, commenting, and mentioning others is key.
- 🚀Follow other writers but don’t try to game the system. Follow-for-follow or the follow-unfollow game will be punished.
- 🚀Fill out your Bio and your About to share more about your expertise, and background and build a human connection. My tip: Don’t use a pen name. Use your real name and not a cat photo but a photo that shows your face.
Dare to self-publish your content!
If you rather want to go with publications (to take advantage of their follower base and reach)…
Here’s a list of Medium publications that will feature your work and have a supportive community:
- The Shortform — to pump out shorties with 150 words or less.
- Illumination — to share whatever you like.
- New Writers Welcome — to write about what matters to new writers on Medium
- The Motherload — if you’re a parent, this is your pub!
- Midform — my student Megan Llorente started this publication where you can submit medium-sized stories with up to 750 words.
- BADForm — my student Sally Prag opened this publication to share your badness and fun-ness on Medium.
A little bit of badness and fun-ness on Medium.medium.com
- Modern Woman — share your female voice in this publication.
I’m curious. Do you have any questions or other publications you’d like to add?
and why it’s a dangerous and stupid strategy for new writers.medium.com