It’s super easy if you know how to do it. You don’t need to be an experienced graphic designer.
A few months back, I created a free eBook called “The Medium Kickstarter Guide”.
If you’re new to Medium, you don’t want to miss a beat of this super helpful book.
If you’re a more experienced writer looking to create your first eBook, I also got you covered.
Via email, I was asked how I created my eBook which I offer on Gumroad.
So let’s look at the eBook I built so you can create your own digital book.
The software I was using is Canva.
Canva is an incredibly cool and user-friendly online graphic design platform that has taken the world of content creation by storm.
I have a Canva Pro account. That’s their premium subscription plan.
Why? Canva is my number one tool as a creator.
I use it on a daily basis. Almost all of my YouTube thumbnails, newsletter images, and Medium featured images are created with this tool.
The same goes for my eBook/s.
No clue what Canva is? I've got you covered!
Here’s what makes Canva so awesome:
- Easy to use: Canva’s drag-and-drop interface makes it simple for users of all skill levels to create professional-looking designs. You don’t need to be a graphic design expert to create stunning visuals!
- Templates galore: Canva offers a vast library of customizable templates for a variety of design needs, including social media posts, presentations, posters, invitations, and more. This makes it easy to find the perfect starting point for your designs.
- Design elements: Canva provides a plethora of design elements such as images, icons, shapes, and fonts that you can incorporate into your designs. Many of these elements are free to use, while others are available through Canva Pro, their premium subscription plan.
- Collaboration: Canva makes collaboration a breeze by allowing you to share your designs with team members or clients, who can then view, comment on, or edit the design. This feature makes it easy to work together on projects and get feedback in real-time.
- Cloud-based storage: Canva automatically saves your designs to the cloud, so you can access them from anywhere and on any device with an internet connection. This also ensures that you never lose your work due to a computer crash or other technical issues.
- Flexibility: Canva is available on both desktop and mobile devices, making it convenient for users to create designs on the go or at their desks.
- Regular updates and new features: Canva continually adds new features, templates, and design elements to its platform, ensuring that users always have fresh content and tools to work with.
Where to find eBook templates on Canva?
Canva offers an extensive library of templates and design elements.
However, when I wanted to create an eBook I felt overwhelmed and didn't have a clue where to find the right template for me.
To save you a lot of time and energy, I just want to share my learnings with you:
1 — Account
Create a free Canva account or log into your existing one
2 — Search for eBooks
Search for “eBooks” in the search bar.
It’s not soooo easy.
If you do this, you’ll get over 1,000 book covers.
But that’s not what you want and need if you’re thinking about creating your first stunning eBook. You need more.
Without any graphic design experience (no offense), you need a one-page cover and multiple designed pages.
Plus, you need a cover that fits your eBook topic.
You don’t want to overthink the whole design stuff… you want the easy way and reach your goal with minimal effort.
3 — All Filters
At the top, select “All Filters”.
From here you can select from different categories, styles, and themes.
If you’ve selected a category that fits your eBook topic, hunt for eBook template with multiple pages.
Simply hover over a cover you like to find out whether it also provides more pages.
Here’s an example:
(*There used to be a much better option. You simply had to select “A4 Document” and “US Letter Document” to find a cover with multiple pages.)
4 — Open the template and start editing
Choose a template that fits your eBook idea.
Open up a template.
Replace the text with your ebook title, photo, content, and so on.
5 — Change the layout and add elements
This is for everyone who loves to add his own flavor to the eBook template.
Play around with graphics, and photos from Canva. It’s fun.
However, my tip is to focus on the content and let your layout support your content.
Content is king. When your cover looks stunning and your layout too, but your content is sh*it… no one is going to buy it, recommend it, or give it a good review.
If you want to take action and create your own stunning eBook with minimal effort, Canva is the right choice for you.
It’s super easy to use — once you know how to do it.
Have fun creating your first eBook and feel free to share your questions or links to your eBook in the comments (once it’s ready).