You need a space that you control.
The other day, I got asked whether content creators need a website.
If you would have asked me last year, I would have said:
“No, you can also pick one social, for instance, your Medium account. You don’t need to have your own website.”
This year, in this day and time, I absolutely recommend having your own website.
A Medium profile isn’t enough. It’s not yours.
Relying on a blogging platform owned and operated by a corporation other than your own puts you at huge risk.
The policies, algorithms, pricing, and guidelines of Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and Medium can change dramatically from one day to the next.
As you might have experienced within the last past weeks, views are down, the “true follow feed” doesn’t show your followers your posts anymore, Tony Stubblebine sees Medium as a place for subject matter experts.
When you’ve read one of my latest stories about what’s been going on here, you might scratch your head and wonder:
“Did I miss the memo when I signed up?”
No, you didn’t. The changes came gradually.
Some as the new tipping jar are really good. Others are just annoying, bring out imposter syndrome or make us wanna call it quits.
But let’s come back to your own website now.
What if you don’t have access to your Medium account anymore?
A few months back, I had my own lightbulb moment when I couldn’t access my Medium account anymore.
That’s why I did something about this bad feeling that started nagging at me at the back of my mind…
I’m in the middle of building my own website with a blog.
I made a backup of all of my 1,000 stories on Medium, will pick the best, and showcase them on my blog.
Let’s talk about the backup plan if you were to ever lose your Medium account.medium.com
What could happen to your Medium profile?
Let me give you some examples:
- ❌Banned: You could get (temporary) banned as it happened to Abena Talks Health or Winston with his publication Coffee Times.
- ❌Disabled account: From one day to the next, you simply don’t have access to your account anymore as happened to me a few months ago.
I’m sure there are many more who experience the same.medium.com
- ❌Stolen personality: An impersonation spam attack is destroying your reputation on Medium, people report “you” although you’re not this person, and… you lose access to your account.
Medium is experiencing an impersonation spam attack right now. I’m shocked. We need a verified checkmark.medium.com
Plus, Medium accounts get hacked and there are many more potential scenarios.
You need a steady, stable central hub that you control
Think of any celebrity, company, or brand you love and ask yourself.
They all have a website. That’s their virtual business card.
The good news is: You can export your Medium stories and import them into the blog of your own website.
⭐This has five great benefits:⭐
- First, you have a background of the stories you’ve written.
- Second, people can visit your website and can come for a sample of what it’s like to work with you.
- Third, you can attract freelance clients.
- Forth, you can link to all your other socials (for instance your Substack newsletter and YouTube channel).
- Fifth, you can sell something (i.e. your ebook on Gumroad) directly from your website.
Your website is an ever-evolving thing
“Kristina, mention tech and I’m in a world of pain. I have no clue where to start. That’s why I started writing on Medium.”
Here’s the good news, dear writer:
The function of your website is a thousand times more important than the form.
You don’t need a fancy website with all the bells and whistles to be successful.
Plus, your website is an ever-evolving thing that you can change and improve.
Start building your own website with a blog today.
You own your website.
To not feel overwhelmed:
- Give yourself permission to keep your (first) website as a content creator and writer simple on your first go around.
- Update and improve it later, if necessary.
One more tip for busy creators, you can also create a micro website with Linktree as I did last week. It looks like this:
Secondly, if you like to experience Medium yourself, consider supporting me and thousands of other writers by signing up for a membership. It only costs $5 per month and supports writers greatly. Plus, you have the chance to make money with your writing as well.